About Me

My photo
I'm a consulting geologist for a small company in the Denver area. I study problems related to active tectonics, using geomorphology, structural geology and remote sensing.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

homesick?

hmmm...

not really 'homesick' per-se, but today is probably the one time I've felt something approaching homesickness. I spent about an hour today, in one of the local bikeshops, ogling and coveting all the shiny aluminum and glossy carbon fiber and feeling very, very deprived of my own bikes back home. ...so, when I say home-sick, what I'm really saying is 'bike-sick', 'trail-sick', 'open-road-and-wind-in-my-face-sick'. I realize that I haven't even ridden a bike in two months... and it's starting to get to me. I was thinking about bringing one of my bikes with me when I left colorado in january, but i decided it would be too much of a pain in the ass. now, in retrospect, i realize that carrying my bike 40 miles to the airport, strapped to my back while crawling through broken glass, would have been worth the effort and pain if it meant i could have my bike with me now. i know, it sounds ridiculous, but damn! ...i really just want to ride. strolling through the shop today, and especially looking at the italian and german framesets displayed on the wall, i just couldn't help but fantasize about taking one of those out on a ride. if i can reserve one boyish, childish, or otherwise immature right, it would be (and often is) the right to dream about biking.... that is of course, when i'm not dreaming about flying spaceships.

the thing i really miss is the smell and sunlight of colorado. in my head, i can see riding my hardtail through the winding singletrack at walker ranch... the sun filtered through the ponderosa pines and the smell of the sage that lines the sides of the trail filling my nose. ...or i can see myself on my full-suspension railing through the corners on the descent off the top of white ranch, through high brush and silver-green grass, with the perfect panorama of denver and the golden plains of eastern colorado forming the backdrop. i could go on and on, describing each scenario that runs through my head... visions of rides to come and memories of epic rides past, but that would take pages and pages and probably be an incredibly boring read to just about everybody.

anyway, that's what's on my mind today... I haven't really done anything productive in several days and that's probably bugging me the most. I really need to get out of the city for a few days and get refocused on my research. more bloggin' soon, maybe a pic or two...

~t

1 comment:

Laure said...

I have no clue how I ended up on your blog Tarka, but I am sure there is only one Tarka in Taiwan able to miss biking in Colorado so much! Well I won't tell you it has been nice and sunny and warm lately here in Boulder... but don't you worry, the sun will be here in May when you return! Nothing really changes here...